To celebrate Pork Month, in our third episode Emily Larkin and Diane Slater, Director of Communications for the Missouri Pork Association are joined by Chris Chinn, the Director of the Missouri Department of Agriculture about the economics of pork production in the state. There will be a new episode each week, so be sure to check back and keep listening! Listen to the podcast by clicking here.
Chris’s Root Beer Pork Steak
4-6 pork steaks
1 can of root beer
1/2 C barbecue sauce
- Cook the pork steaks and root beer in a slow cooker on low for about 8 hours.
- Remove the pork steaks to a sheet pan, and brush with barbecue sauce.
- Broil for a few minutes until the sauce begins to bubble and crisp.
Episode 2: Emily and Diane talk with Paula Vandelicht, a registered dietician with Hy-Vee about how pork can be a part of a healthy diet!
Cherry Pork Loin
- 2 lb boneless pork tenderloin
1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1” pieces (2C)
1 sweet yellow onion, peeled and chopped
6 oz frozen pitted dark sweet cherries
3 T olive oil
2 garlic, minced
1 t thyme
½ t pepper
This can be prepared and frozen in advance, then used in the slow cooker at a later date
- Label freezer bag, and add all ingredients to the bag. Remove as much air as possible, seal, and freeze up to three months
- When you’re ready to cook, thaw freezer bag overnight in refrigerator.
- Add contents of bag to slow cooker. Cook on low for 4 hours in a 6-quart pot or 8-10 hours in a 4-quart pot.